Main Site Blog Help

ChinesePod iOS app update

Huuh, that does not sound that good. I’m just in front of hesitating to subscribe for ChinesePod. Their content would convince me, however I wanted to refer to the app - it’s a major aspect for me. If there’s no working app, independent of the reason, it will be a no-go.
BTW, it’s a pity that IPv6-requirements are not fulfilled. Regularly these kind of requests are published long before and should be considered by SW-manufacturers. Especially if they are mandatory for permission.

Let’s see what will happen midst of September as Kevin mentioned they launch another attempt.

Yo honestly if your on the fence about it and want to learn mandarin, I would recommend if your a iPhone user to go with the basic sub and use any podcast player (I use the standard Apple one). It does everything that the previous apps have done but better. Only thing you can’t do are the excercises but if your a basic sub then that doesn’t matter anyways. For 14 bucks a month, I would say it’s worth it.

What happened to the update? I still only see a version from 12 March (0.7.1)

1 Like

Well if you slog through this whole long thread you will see that it was rejected by Apple. and will be resubmitted. I don’t know why the now outdated initial post is still linked by the main page in big red letters.

1 Like

I have never liked the app.

The latest news: a surprisingly candid admission that the app was simply unacceptable: http://support.chinesepod.com/hc/en-us/articles/214894983
They are back to the drawing board with creating a new app “from scratch” (again).
Look for the replacement in 2017.

1 Like

Well, I hope you guys have the right and well experienced iOS-developer on board. Last week I got into contact with a Russian senior iOS-developer looking for new opportunities. If there is any need, please reach out for me.

Hi 870604046. We believe we’ve hired the right people to do the job, but please feel free to send your referral to support@chinesepod.com. Thank you!

The first beta test I had was back in august 2015 – you’re saying end of Jan 2017 is the expected date for an ios app?

-_-

Hi Daniel

That’s because they are two different apps made by two different creators.
Thank you for your understanding.

I understand the “outsource team” was replaced with an in-house developer, but I fail to understand why an in-house developer is going to solve the problem. I haven’t been able to effectively use ChinesePod in two years and my subscription is auto-renewing. I do not understand how a simple app project has been dragging along for such a long time. “Two different apps made by two different creators” being listed as a reason for the problem is a such a typical rookie mistake done by someone who has zero experience managing a software project or lacks the ability & judgement to hire the right person to do so.

the beta app of chinesepod is really nice! I’ve just some bug for the description.

And we don’t see the download, we can do it but no progress is showed.

But anyway, since 2 years, it is the first time i’m really satisfied with the app

And really like the option to break the sentence word by word.

Does any one else have problems playing a lesson that they have downloaded? After I download a lesson, it often doesn’t show the vocab list and tells me I need a connection in order to play the lesson (yes I have actually downloaded the lesson, I’m not that dumb). The result is I can’t play any lessons that I download, or I can start but then it stops working. I’m using the iPhone 7 for the first time, so maybe this is an IOS problem? The android app is awesome, but the iOS just doesn’t work well.

I’ve just downloaded about 50 lessons but only around 20 are showing on the Downloaded screen. If I go back to the Discover screen and select the missing lessons it says they are Downloaded. So why can’t I see on the Downloaded screen. Annoying as I need access to them offline. If I look on my iPhone memory use I can see ChinesePod is around 1.9gb so all of the lessons are definitely on my iPhone somewhere! Can I use a different app perhaps to listen to them? They don’t show up on my google play or Apple Music song lists.

no need to thank you and i want to thank you for ios update of chinese pod.:slight_smile:

1 Like

So I’ve got the most recent iOS app update and I’m wondering why there isn’t an option to access the exercises for each lesson whilst in the app? Or if there is that option hiding somewhere, how do I find it? Other than that, a good update in my opinion :slight_smile:

Sadly the exercises have never been a feature of the apps. They prove quite difficult to implement, having been built on quite old code. Currently, we’re working on getting courses/playlists added as well as some simple way to save vocabulary and review flashcards.

1 Like

Thanks Gwilym. I thought it might be something like that, which is understandable. Those other improvements you mentioned sound good! Fingers crossed.

This app accompanies the ChinesePod website. Access the ChinesePod library of lessons, your courses and your self-study list. I’m on iOS 7.0.3 using a 5S and when I play the lesson audio, go out of the app and then try and use the Control Center audio controls, none of them work. It would be nice to use the Control Center to advance forward and back and pause.

Is this a recurring issue with other users as well? Personally, I’m running it on Android.