Main Site Blog Help

Yes, ChinesePod is Changing!

You’re extremely lucky ---- you can download all those lessons in bulk and leave for just 99 cents. Totally jealous, hahahaha.

Thanks for your suggestions, Cathaldonnellan. I will include it in the suggestions for improvements. But not the one to download all the lessons in one month for .99!

Thanks,

Just canceled my anual subscription that is due on end of this month. Four years now since I started with chinese pod and since then we had several changes and periods without new lessons, but never like this time with no Info of what is happening or new plans…to decide to go on with you.
Hopping you will come back soon with new amazing programs and lessons to make me wrong with my actual feeling…

1 Like

Ok, I have been auto renewing my three month subscription for some time and it renewed 12/30/17 so I have until March but I have canceled auto renew. At this point I consider that last 3 month payment as a gift for all the good times.

BUT, it has been like 6 weeks and it is plain to see that your subscribers want ‘something’. Can you not give us some high level details/news/updates to let us know there is even someone in charge? Many of us have met you halfway–we gave the feedback you asked for. Now give us something in return.

Frankly, I think that what all the posts show is how much we REALLY want you to come through and you are squandering our loyalty here. If we all consider CP as just another website, we would have just canceled and left. Many of us have been with you for years.

6 Likes

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but I would like more options for sorting lessons. I like to study older lessons and I find it difficult to navigate far enough back in time to find them. Adding sorting functions for the year published and the names of the hosts would make it easier to find the content that I want.

2 Likes

So sad to say I’m going away. I really would have loved to stay. But ChinesePod won’t answer when? The lessons new will flow again? I ask myself “What is this nonsense? ChinesePod! won’t bring back Constance!” And don’t take money off my plate If you can’t or won’t provide a date For when normal service will resume. You don’t need me now, I must assume. Oh Podsters of the web UNITE. Don’t go down without a fight. Stop your payments. DO IT NOW! They don’t listen anyhow! It’s not about the 99cents. It’s all about good governance. Freeze our payments. It’s only fair! Or is it just that you don’t care?

3 Likes

Hi,

Really? Did you join ChinesePod only for future content? What about all the lessons that already here? Alright, if you’re an upper intermediate or advanced student then maybe it could make sense.

I’am here for the long term, I only want to learn Chinese and there is an amazing amount of information here. So I don’t join your rebellion. 我很高兴!

Robert

1 Like

I agree that there is a lot of good stuff on CP, however, the price tag is a bit high for access to formerly produced content, an outdated website and nearly zero communication on how CP operates and plans for the future. Also the term pod / podcast implies new relevant content.

5 Likes

There is no denying the wealth of content available, but we are not making noise about the fact that they are in a transitional phase (every company goes through that), we are posting here due to a lack of communication answering a simple question, namely WTF IS GOING ON?

A lot of people have encountered this before; hosts left and ChinesePod underwent changes. This was, nevertheless, communicated whenever it happened, therefore giving the customer a chance to plan ahead and accept the situation the company faced at that time.

I want to continue supporting it (I strongly believe in the company’s previous modus operandi and even though they provided me with a certain amount of compensation to offset the negative effects of waiting for new lesssons to be released, the lack of communication, and the inability to tell people what’s going on, is troublesome and needs to be addressed.

2 Likes

It is taking a bit too long for new lessons. Can’t you even say when we can expect them? And we really should get extra month’s credit for this long period without new lessons. New Zealand? Hey, go back to China!

3 Likes

There is a lot if great content but it’s a bit pricey if there NO more new content. It’s a bit risky to sign up for a year. Netflix is 10 dollars a month AUD and you don’t need to commit for a year and can watch anything including Chinese shows. Chinesepod is 14 USD per month without having access to all audio. I know it’s different but gives some prospective. If Chinesepod had a podcast every second day it would be justified. YouTube is also in some ways competition whilst not perfect it gives some alternatives. The market has changed.

1 Like

Well, actually the 14$ subscription doesn’t get you that far. If you want to see the full content it’s much more. I agree, there are many alternatives but it seems that CP wants to change but doesn’t have a clear picture of the direction. I think CP should focus on their strong sides, the podcast and evolve these – oh wait the makers all left :frowning:

I can’t believe they haven’t responded to the obvious angst among their podsters. Looks like panic in the boardroom and the old adage applies. “If you’ve nothing to say, say nothing”. I’m so cheesed off I’ve wasted my 99cents.

2 Likes

And another thing. No flashcards. WT? So many good sites out there and this is pretty basic stuff for learning. I’ve just cancelled my subscription but so disappointed. Why not have groups of flashcards for the different HSK levels? Links to practice tests would be good. An earlier comment was respectful and bang on. A little too much giggling in the lessons. Not a problem first time you hear it but if you want to repeat a lesson it’s like hearing a joke the second time. Not funny. Keep the lessons fun but tighter. Good luck in the future. Zai jian.

I have a recommendation for content. I jumped from intermediate to upper intermediate and it was astonishing how much more difficult it was to transition from Fiona as as the primary Chinese speaker to Constance. Constance in the upper intermediate videos speaks like a machine gun and at times slurs her speech and swallows her voice at crucial times when the core meaning of the sentence is being communicated. This is obviously not an easy issue, because at some point we need to be able to listen Chinese speakers and understand them in all of their fury, but that has to be built up to, step-by-step. I slow down the audio to half speed at times, listening carefully to figure out what she is saying, often still not understanding it after half an hour of digging. I have to infer the general meaning from surrounding speech. And I am of course waiting for people to tell me that that is how it goes in Chinese. That to me is not understanding the point of language learning. You learn a language to be able to fully communicate, in all of its glory. This means your target should be full understanding, not partial understanding through inference. I would really really recommend that you tell the new hosts to pay attention to their speaking habits in the future and very carefully and humbly scrutinize those habits. Slurred and rapid-fire speech, full fluency in other words, has to be an end point you build up to, not a weird hump right in the middle of the process. That has to be broken down and taught, not just thrown out there.

1 Like

That all being said. I also would like to say that listening to Constance speak like that did help my listening, but in the same way that being forced to run a Triatholon at the drop of a hat would improve my physical conditioning. It is inefficient, painful, and a overall an unnecessary waste of energy. Though I always thought that Constance was a great host in terms of content, it just seemed like someone told her to speak completely unrestrained at upper intermediate.

I’m a new subscriber.
For now I like the content, but it’s very frustrating to not have the possibility to stream the content through chromecast.
I think it’s not a very technical problem to have the possibility to stream content on chromecast.
I hope quick upgrade of app.

It has been over a month since the old team left and we still have not received any explanation as to why they left, how the process of finding new hosts is going, why the new location is in New Zealand of all places, how you will deal with memberships, or any hints at what time period we should expect some changes to occur. Some interaction with the community that goes beyond occasionally saying wither or not certain ideas sound nice would be appreciated, people have valid concerns and the response to many of them seems to just be silence or non-answers.

3 Likes

Moreover, I just received this email by ChinesePod pointing into some weird action. It more and more seems an automatic action-sequence is ongoing without anybody steering the vehicle. How could it be that on one side there are customers complaining about missing content and unclear direction, on the other side the same customers receive “involve-your-friends” mails. Very strange.

3 Likes

I’m holding out for the new hosts but I can’t wait forever. After many years of being a happy paying customer, it’s starting to look like it’s nearly time to part ways.

3 Likes