Main Site Blog Help

Are new hosts hired? When are we expected to have new lessons?

earls, I was actually suggesting that you PM HelloChinesePod, not post on the forum, but based on the post below from alexyzye that probably won’t work either. Maybe try the “contact” link at the bottom of the main page. It’s really starting to look like nobody is home though. However, I did notice that somebody is addressing the fact that their iOS app doesn’t work with the current version of iOS. This is the second time, by my count, that they have not anticipated Apple’s requirements. Probably because they don’t have an in-house developer. In fact, it looks like ChinesePod is now just a brand, with no actual dedicated resources. Anyway, while you are waiting for fresh content, earls, check out podcasts from Slow Chinese and Learning Chinese Through Stories.

From what I heard from someone at the local pub, growing the 摇钱树 has something to do with joining a bitcoin mining group. Good luck with your 加密货币 farm! As to the strategy of CPod’s owners, as I just wrote elsewhere, ChinesePod now seems to be a brand and a lot of archived content, with no dedicated resources. It seems that newer users who joined since the content producers were disbanded in December are okay with things as they are, but certainly the “100s of thousands of users” from before then would understandably feel entitled to a price reduction since Chinese “Pod” is no longer an actual podcast. But I think management has decided to just wait and see what happens to the subscriber numbers and retention rates.

1 Like

Thanks, but I have deceided to give up on ChinesePod. I have moved on to The Chairman’s Bao and other resources. I will never trust ChinesePod again!

1 Like

Maybe sowing 摇头丸 is also connected to growing the 摇钱树… I guess either way is rather risky, so I will just stay with conventional fruit as this actually is how I make my living, sort of.

In that respect: Happy labour day to all who don’t own that kind of tree (Very clearly, Chinesepod cannot claim to be 光荣 these days…)

I eventually got someone from ChinesePod to reply to my post yesterday, and got my yearly subscription reset to start from now, i.e. extended by 3 months. Also got it upgraded for the year. Sometimes just got to ask again and again. I also tried the Contact link.
Let’s see how long before new content resumes.

Thank you for your patience!!

I’m a new subscriber to ChinesePod so I’m not aware of all the drama that is clearly upsetting some prior members. However, kudos to ChinesePod for not censoring the user complaints! Letting people vent openly is the mature and responsible thing to do.

Change is hard, and it looks like some members prefer to leave. That’s too bad, but as for me: This site, the mobile apps, the production quality - everything says that ChinesePod is committed to excellence and will continue to deliver value to subscribers. I look forward to the new cast & crew when their content is ready.

Hello! Welcome to ChinesePod! There was a little bit of drama a few months ago but we’ve already new content rolling out for months now and are excited looking at the future. Thank you for writing in! How long have you been studying Chinese??

1 Like

Hi Grace.

I’ve been studying Chinese for about 4 years. I’m eager to progress past the Elementary level, and listening comprehension has been one of my biggest challenges. I’ve already improved a lot since joining ChinesePod! 非常好!

Hello all! I am curious about the velocity that new lessons are being posted. I’ve been a subscriber to ChinesePod for several years and have noticed that far fewer lessons are being posted each week. I understand that things may change with a new regime, but it would be nice to know what we can expect going forward. This is not really a complaint, but for longtime subscribers like myself, it might be good to establish clear expectations. Either way, I will continue to subscribe since I really appreciate everything on the site.

1 Like

"Hi kaide xuesheng,

Great to hear from you. I am Elsha and am the Academic director. Have you by any chance listened to our new current affair series? What level are you studying now? We are currently revamping our production structure for all levels and one of which is Chinese for hospitality industry. As we know our users come from a wide variety of experience and background, if you have interests in certain subjects, please let us know! With our new series and curriculum for different industries, you will be meeting some new hosts and hostesses very soon! We are very excited to bring you more interesting and useful lessons.

Allow me one more question: Do you find video format a “must” for new lessons? Are high frequency (really professional recording) audio lessons as good? I have to admit that we are split between both, and so any user feedback is appreciated. We hope to hearing from all of our Chinesepod learners!

Hi Elsha,

Thanks for posting and I’m looking forward to meeting the new hosts and hostesses.

I just wanted to reply to your question about video format lessons. While I wouldn’t say the video format lessons are a “must” I do find the video lessons really helpful and when I’m browsing for a new lesson I do prefer to choose video lessons. For me, being able to see the speaker, watch their facial expressions and how they interact with their co-hosts really helps me understand the dialogue in a way which I find it harder to do with audio alone. For me the video lessons hosted by Fiona, either with Gwyllm or Constance, were the perfect format and really engaging.

However, I do understand that it is probably more work to produce the video lessons and that if you concentrated on high quality audio lessons you could probably produce them with higher frequency. So yes, I would really like to see more video lessons, but would also be happy with more audio lessons if it means they can be produced with higher frequency. Ideally then I think there should continue to be a mixture of audio and video lessons.

If it helps I have been learning Chinese for more than 1 year and I am an elementary learner. I have now completed about 80 elementary lessons on ChinesePod so I will me looking to consolidate my elementary level knowledge and perhaps start trying some pre-intermediate lessons soon.

Simon

1 Like

Hi!

My personal opinion is exactly the opposite of Simon… I have never watched a single video lesson. For me, the great value of Chinesepod is that I can use it to study Chinese in otherwise non-productive or only semi-productive times (driving, walking, cooking…). When I started with Cpod I did not have time at all to sit down and study, so the possibility of having Chinese “fed” to me on the go was what saved me big time back then. I used to commute to work by bike and subway and I never took off my headphones…

Soooo, I personally would prefer Chinesepod to be exactly that tool:

1. Frequent, short, self explanatory lessons (clear enough to learn from them without looking at the transcript)
  2. New vocabulary clearly explained
  3. expansion sentences that are numerous, but rather short, maybe even only “chunks” or 固定搭配 of four to eight characters in total。
  4. Covering current topics.

I think the recent podcasts on Africa, smart bakery etc. were great (although in fact I still had to rely on the transcripts). Did they come with video? I don’t even know… Keep 'em coming.

2 Likes

I decided, that as far as I hve enough material new for me to train, I’ goung to keep my subscription. If I used the whole library and o new lessons, I will quit. Let’s see.

MisterXia,

Almost exactly my thoughts. I currently spend almost 2 hours a day behind the wheel, and I typically divide that time among ChinesePod, Glossika, and Ximalaya, with ChinesePod getting at least 50% of my time. (And with an occasional “English break” listening to the Sinica podcast).

When I’m not commuting, I work with tutors. I’ll send them the ChinesePod dialogues I’m studying, and we’ll work through those. I agree 100% about the importance of the expansion sentences - and that the shorter they are, the more useful they are. Long expansion sentences may be good for reading, but are pretty much useless for building fluency.

I certainly agree about the value of audio material when travelling or driving. I usually study a new lesson at home in the evening. As I said, I prefer the video lessons but I study audio ones too. I go through the dialogues, and type them out as part of the study process. I go through the vocabulary, grammar, expansion and exercises. I download the dialogue audio and then I listen to all the dialogues on loop or shuffle when I’m driving.

1 Like

Hi Simon, Elijah, Tanya, and MisterXia,

Thank you VERY much for your replies. We are truly happy to hear that audio learning is still a welcomed option. With your detailed explication on your learning experience, we can imagine vividly to whom we are speaking. I will ensure that lessons of all levels are regularly produced.

And as MisterXia has pointed out, the current affairs audios will be turned into videos but with a twist, which we hope to keep as a surprise until the videos are published! The video content will enhance and broaden the audio content, and not just to repeat it. Likewise, we will work the other way around: turning some video lessons into audio lessons.

And noted Elijah: Shorter and simpler (and more!) sentences in the expansion section.

Last but not least Tanya, new lessons are in the publishing pipeline now! As one of our "How to say lesson 加油 (go for it)!” goes, we are adding oil (加油), adding oil (加油).

Hi Elsha!

I am an intermediate learner who married into a Taiwanese family. I study to be able to talk about everyday topics with my in-laws. I have about 2 hours commute everyday and always put on Chinesepod podcasts to make the most of the otherwise wasted time. So while I love watching the videos when I have free time, I really appreciate the ability to download plain, clear audio that spends plenty of time going over new vocab and grammar b/c I can’t look at videos or transcripts while driving. Even if you continue to go in a video direction, please continue to make just the audio downloadable for those video lessons for the sake of us commuters. Thank you :smiley:

Also love the transcripts, expansion sentences, grammar notes that link to Qing Wen episodes for further understanding, and quizzes. When I have time, I write the lesson dialogues out by hand to practice reading & writing characters.

2 Likes

Hi Lele, thanks for writing! Lovely to hear your way of learning and practicing. We will definitely work on audio lessons for intermediate levels.

As for me, both video and audio have their value. Currently, at a newbie level, I start by watching one of the ATWTI videos and really love seeing those two ladies talking to me and smiling and somehow making the prospect of learning Chinese doable. It’s a psychological boost for my learning.

I then download the audio for that lesson, and move to one of the “expansion” newbie audio lessons suggested in it. I work through all the tabs (lesson, vocab, grammar, exercises, expansion), download the audio, and put it all together with the ATWTI lessons and maybe a lesson from a few days ago into a playlist of about 45 minutes (with several repetitions of the dialogue and vocabulary files), that I use that day either in my daily walks or during commuting.

Once I finish all the ATWTI lessons I am planning to go again through the list in descending order and choose the expansion audio lessons suggested I didn’t listen to the first time, and maybe try some of the elementary ones.