Main Site Blog Help

成语:”Armchair Quarterback”

Hi @YuQinCai, @Constance_Fang @Fiona and the ChinesePod team, my question is this:

Is there a good chengyu for the concept of “armchair quarterback” in Chinese?

I’ve found 事后聪明 and 放吗后跑 but I don’t think they’re directly on point. 事后聪明 is more like “hindsight is 20-20”—which is slightly different than the idea of “armchair quarterback.” With armchair quarterback, you still have that idea of hindsight is 20-20, but there’s an additional element. The person criticizing how something was done is not the original actor. He or she is just a bystander that has no idea how it felt to make that decision in the moment, or what sort of factors went into the decision making. The emphasis is on that point: that it’s easy to criticize someone when you are not the one in the driver’s seat, and it’s also misguided because you don’t know all the factors at play.

Thanks so much for your help! I am interested to see whether we have an equivalent for this in Mandarin.

I think there’s not an accurate chengyu for your question.
But there is a saying goes “站着说话不腰疼”, direct translation is that your waist doesn’t hurt because you were standing while talking.
In ancient China, people sit on there feet. So, if you sit for a long time, you will feel quite tired.
The ancient story is like this: A and B were talking, C sat by there side as well. B was so energetic that he stood to talk. B talked for a very long time. After the meeting, C said he was so tired, B asked why, C said “I sat there for a quite long time, 你倒是站着说话不腰疼”.
Now the saying means, someone talks a lot about things while actually he is not in the situation or he cannot understand.