Main Site Blog Help

Can I call my good friend 好基友 or 闺蜜?

Hi @YuQinCai, @Constance_Fang @Fiona and the ChinesePod team, my question is this: I have a very good friend, can I say, we are “好基友”? thanks.

Hi Grace,

Very interesting question! The terminology you use to describe your friends actually depends on genders! In this case, you can use 闺蜜 to refer to your female friends. As for 好基友, the term used to refer to gay relationships, but in recent years its usages have expanded, and now you can describe bromance or close male friendships with this word too!

Beside 好基友, any other chinese words can describe close male friendship?

How would you translate 闺蜜 ?

Hi @eddietiong,

If you want to refer to your male good friends, you can also call them 哥儿们 [gē er men] or 兄弟 [xiōng dì].

哥儿们 [gē er men] means “brothers” and is used mostly to describe a group of male friends. However, it has also evolved into a general term for a group of friends that might include females.

兄弟 [xiōng dì] is the same as “bro” is English. Formally, it means “older brother and younger brother”. If, for example, you want to give your good friend a coffee, you can say 兄弟,这杯咖啡给你. [xiōng dì, zhè bēi kā fēi gěi nǐ] (Bro, this coffee is for you.) Please take note that this is a very colloquial term and should only be used in daily conversations!

Hi @lallytina35,

BFF maybe. There’s no direct translation for 闺蜜 actually. By the way, some girls even call their homosexual friends 闺蜜.

1 Like

@BettyZheng This is very helpful.
I’ll really appreciate if you can often share some video links relating to the topic you treat. You are very good with details. I like your explanation.
Thanks

1 Like