Main Site Blog Help

ChinesePod's New iOS App Now LIVE on App Store

ChinesePod’s new app (v0.7.1) for iOS is now LIVE on the App store.

If you have an iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad, you can download it here:

1 Like

Finally!! After nearly 5 months…
Hopefully the update with the comments of the users (customer!) will be listened…

Anyway, good job and keep continuing. if we didn’t love your work while we are complaining we will not pay for it :wink: a proof that we love chinesepod.

Wonderful! How do we change the font size?

Click the menu button in the top left. It’s the first option :slightly_smiling:

The new App looks great - and I especially love the variable font size which is important for me as my eyes are not as good as they used to be

One bug I have found is that when I “press and hold” over hanzi in the Vocab or Dialogue sections the english translation does not appear.

At the moment, the app is not fully featured since it’s the first version. To view the translations, you have to tap the “eye” icon to reveal them as a whole which is not the best implementation. We hope to add tap to reveal in the next version as well as other fixes.

Some idea

• repeat function when we are listening. In the car it’s not easy to restart the lesson manually to the beginning
  • download option : is it possible to add the text lesson? For visual memories it’s easier to learn while we don’t have internet.
  • is it plan to implement the exercice in the app?

Sounds good. I’ve added it to the feature requests for the next version.

This is on our want list, but not for the next few versions. There are other more important additions to add first. For know you’ll have to use the mobile site for this.

Could you explain this one a bit more? Are you saying you can’t load the text (Chinese/pinyin/english) if you have downloaded a lesson and are on airplane mode?

If this is the case, you might have found a bug. If the downloaded lesson does not load the text when on airplane, just click the back arrow to return to the main menu area, and then go back into the lesson. The text and lesson mp3 should now show. I have added this to get fixed.

After investigation I saw two problems:

1. when I’m checking my lessons downloaded, there is some which can’t be loaded.
  2. when I’m checking one lesson, first I get the error message “please establish network connection” and then the lesson still try to load.
    Then when I’m going back to the list and go back in the same lesson, finally the text appear.

Error message…

And then when I’m going back to the list and go back to the lesson, I can read it

Example of some downloaded lessons which doesn’t appear:

Other example, with another lesson:

Last question, is it plan to add a download manager, or something to download several lesson once?

Yes I get that bug too. I’ve added it to our bug tracking website. It should hopfully get fixed in the next update.

let me have a look at this one and see why it’s happening.

aha - thank you - works well

I’m having the following problems:

• Twice I’ve downloaded lessons, and the next day, or later the same day, all the downloaded lessons are gone. I’d rather download at home on WIFI instead of play on the street with my 4G since I pay for data. I assumed this was one of the purposes of downloading lessons.

• If I filter by bookmarked lessons, then go to the lesson via this filter list, it won’t play anything for me.

Same for me. I spend ages downloading a series of lessons (even over my supposedly high speed home wifi in Shanghai it still takes ages ) then out and about the app suddenly says they’re not downloaded . Frustrating to say the least

See the comments in the related thread. Basically, you should not expect anything and should make do with some other third party podcasting app. ChinesePod has had an iOS app for years now, and the current version still does not offer even basic functionality due to its bugs / design flaws. So to expect relief anytime soon you would be optimistic to say the least. Originally I went with an iPhone because I liked Pleco on my iPod so much. Supposedly the Android app for CPod actually works, but I don’t think this will be a compelling reason for many iOS users to make the switch to Android.

I am using the Android app and find that the downloads for the newer lessons are extremely fast. I did notice downloading the really old lessons can be slower at times, perhaps the older lessons are stored on a different server or hard drive? Perhaps @GwilymJames knows the answer.