Main Site Blog Help

Difference between 奇怪 and 奇葩?

Hi @YuQinCai, @Constance_Fang @Fiona and the ChinesePod team, my question is this:

Is there a difference between 奇葩and奇怪?

Sample sentence:

没有,这种奇葩事件发生的几率还是挺小的。

Can I substitute 奇怪in this sentence?

Hi,

Good topic! I couldn’t understand the difference between the two at the beginning either. As far as I know, 奇怪 means “strange”/“weird”. 奇葩 may refer to something/somebody outstanding and also not worldly but now more refers to some unusual and unbelievable behavior. Back to the sentence above, I think it more refers to something unbelievable which is not normally done that way so it cannot be replaced with 奇怪.

Hey Jeremy, thanks for that explanation. So can 奇葩 be used in an exclamatory way, like “he made an unbelievable mistake!”?

No worries! Yes, 奇葩 can be used when we are surprised by some unbelievable behavior we don’t normally see.

1 Like

Hi,
奇葩and奇怪,they are different, for example,

他这个人很奇怪,means he is so werid.
他真是一朵奇葩 means he did something is very unblievable that beyond normal human behavior and thinking,can refer to someone is very outstanding or stupid。

这件事情很奇怪.
我遇到了一件很奇葩的事.

Hi all,

I think both @Jeremypu2019 and @gracechen7874 are correct. The meaning of 奇怪 and 奇葩 somehow overlaps, but the usage might be a little bit different. You can tell from the sentences mentioned by Grace. 奇葩 originally means a special but beautiful flower, so when we use it to describe a person we can either say 他很奇葩 or 他是一朵奇葩 (lit. he is a special flower). But when we use it to talk about things, the usage is the same.