Main Site Blog Help

Ed from Reno, Nevada

Hello, I started to study Chinese decades ago, but then slacked off for decades. I want to buckle down now and really learn. I grew up in a Chinese church in L.A., and taught English in China for 3 summers. I also like to play Chinese songs on guitar, but don’t always understand the sounds. The videos here on ChinesePod seem very helpful, so I signed up a few days ago.

Hi Ed,

Welcome to ChinesePod!
It’s very exciting that you decided to join us. The first step is always the hardest, but I’m sure it’d get easier if you just stick to your learning schedule and not give up!
I’m so glad to hear you’re a music lover! Have you listened to this episode yet?
Chinese Love Songs (Part 1)
https://www.chinesepod.com/lesson/chinese-love-songs-part-1

Feel free to let us know what you want to learn and we would really appreciate any suggestions!
Happy learning!

Thanks for recommending this episode. I especially like the one where his love is just like a mouse that loves rice! These remind me of songs that were played when I sang Karoke in Chinese with Chinese speaking friends in Southern California. That was decades ago. I can still play “Zai Na Yao Yuan de Di Fang” and “Yue Liang Dai Biao Wo de Xin” on guitar. So I can sing them, but have trouble speaking those words! So now I will work on speaking/understanding spoken Chinese here on Chinese Pod.

1 Like

Nice! There’re lots of Chinese songs in karaokes in Southern California. I’ve sung karaoke there before. I hope you enjoy learning Chinese with us. By the way, I am quite curious about which version of 在那遥远的地方 [zài nà yáoyuǎn dì dìfang] that you know. I love Leehom’s version. If you haven’t heard of it, check out the video below:

Hi Betty:

I learned 在那遥远的地方 in 1997 when I was teaching English in Wuhan.    The person who taught me said that her father writes children's songs.    I learned it in a flowing style sort of like this version done by John Denver.    He learned it in Shanghai in 1991 I think.     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTHLBzMSEMI

Wow! His Chinese and song amaze me! I like his version, too!