Main Site Blog Help

Hello from Philly!

Lived in Shanghai a year and then another year in Taichung. Been back in the states about 5 years but miss my Asia life very much :frowning:

I actually just signed up for a paid subscription because I feel Chinesepod is going through some big changes at the moment and I’d like to be a part of it. Excited to see the new path it takes. I followed Fiona, Constance and Gwlym on Youtube for a long time and love them all very much. So sad to see them go!

However, change happens and I have been very surprised to see all the negative reactions to Grace and her mother. I couldn’t imagine the job of trying to fill the shoes left by the last team. It will take them some time to get in a groove but I have total confidence they will succeed and encourage everyone to help them along with suggestions and ideas with new ideas for our wonderful Chinesepod family!

Anywho, hello again from Philadelphia! :slight_smile:

Hi PhillyGuy!

I was away from ChinesePod for about 5 years. Last year, shocked and compelled by my appalling lack of progress, I came back full-force.

I’m feeling the same way about the new hosts. I had the privilege of actually meeting Jenny and Grace recently, and they’re delightful people. They’re in a really tough spot, and I was surprised by their resilience. Their ears are also wide open. These two qualities, in addition to natural on-camera charisma, can take them far. But they do need time.

Have you heard any of the very earliest Ken/Jenny episodes? Probably not, because they were deleted from ChinesePod years ago. They were horrible. Awkward. Downright embarrassingly awful. Of course, the ChinesePod crowd was an easy audience in 2005. We could be nearly brought to our knees with tears of ecstatic gratitude by anything that gave us hope of speaking Chinese. But kids now are so spoiled… :stuck_out_tongue:

But it is true there are some serious QC issues right now. I’m focused on older lessons, so they don’t bother me.

Hello PhillyGuy!

That is so great that you have been able to live in Asia.

Thank you so much for your support and kind words. It was so scary getting out there, however we love this language and that is what motivates us. We are both Chinese teachers, just never on camera. We hope to improve a day at a time. Thanks for checking us out and saying hello!

Sincerely,
Grace

Hi Phillyguy, I’m another Philly guy. I have a group of friends who meet in Chinatown every week for dinner and Chinese practice if you’re interested. Or maybe you already attend…:slight_smile:

That is so awesome! Sounds like fun, if I’m ever in Philly I would love to join!

1 Like