Main Site Blog Help

iOS app version 0.9.4

Anybody got experience with the most current (as of September 2017) version of the app? The sole review I can see in the App Store says it doesn’t work. Apparently it won’t allow you to play back downloaded files if you don’t have an Internet connection. I am inclined to believe that this is true, because it has been a perennial problem that has plagued almost every version of the app for . . . .seems like almost 8 years now. I am using version 0.9.3 build 5.7. and it seems to be able to download files and replay them without an Internet connection. But if the newer version cannot it would not be the first time that the app had fixed a problem, only to have it “un-fixed” in a subsequent version.

I’m really surprised at the lack of reviews and the absence of comment here on the forum. Has everyone just given up on the app?

I gave up a long time ago, and just use the standard podcast player. There’s nothing the app can do extra that I need.

I’d recommend updating to the latest version on the app store (0.9.5 at the time of writing) since each version comes with lots of bug fixes and small improvements. If you experience any issues, we can try and solve them for you.

Ah, yes, I see it just came out yesterday. Thanks for the timely reply, Gwilym. The older version of the app that I am running is still urging an update to 0.9.4, but I suppose if I said “yes” it would actually give me 0.9.5. The description of “what’s new” looks the same though; (“new dictionary feature”, etc.) Have you tested it to see if it properly downloads (not just streams) content and will work without an Internet connection (no authentication or additional download required)? Have any other users tried? .

Gwilym,
Now THIS is interesting: I never did update; still on version 0.9.3. But I just now checked the App Store for updates and the latest version has gone back to showing 0.9.4, not 0.9.5. What happened? Did 0.9.5 get pulled? I’m on iOS 11, so shouldn’t be a compatibility issue.

Looks like it vanished. Can’t find 0.9.5 in the app store any more.

Hi @podster. The current version on the app store is indeed 0.9.4. I mistakenly wrote 0.9.5 which is the next test version that’s not out yet.

Our iOS developer @ThanhCao can help you out if you have any issues with the update. Hopefully 0.9.5 will be out soon.

Thanks, Gwilym, but I think the mistake was Apple’s, not yours. As I wrote originally (above) I did see version 0.9.5 in the App Store last week, and it said that it had been updated the day prior. Version 0.9.4 is from September. Thanks for info on the developer. If the description of the update does not address the problem cited by the negative review for 0.9.4 I will write to the developer before updating.

By the way, I appreciate the fact that the app does not nag for reviews, so let me take this opportunity to ask fellow users to please give feedback on the app, either in the App store or here on the forum. Specifically I am hoping people will review the performance of the app itself. No need to say the lesson content is great; everybody knows that :wink: ! (well, if they are forum users they probably do know that)

Is there actually any option inside the app to mark a lesson as studied? Didnt find it yet :blush:

You can bookmark a lesson directly from the library by clicking on the book icon, or inside a lesson. You can then search those lessons by clicking on the search icon and picking the quick tag “Studied”

Hello Gwylym, ok, got it! Then the problem is clear :slight_smile: Those bottons are needed in the “download section”.
When I access my lessons for study, I will always take them from the “downloaded” ones. Inside the downloaded lesson´s menu, you will not have these buttons. So each time I want to mark a session as studied, I need to go back manually into the library overview and find it there. I think this is a big deficit in terms of usability, please take it up as a suggestion :slight_smile:
Another thing I noted for the downloaded ones. I have like 50+ downloaded lessons now and it´s horrible to navigate through them. Instead of adding the downloads to the buttom, the most recently added lesson should appear on the top.
Also, there should an option to “remove completed lessons” from the download section, in order to not blow up the app and the storage usage on the phone.