Main Site Blog Help

Jyutping and Pinyin

Hi @YuQinCai, @Constance_Fang @Fiona and the ChinesePod team, my question is this:

My husband is Chinese from Jiangmen (does not read or write SzeYap but is fluent in speaking and understanding) and I am English, I have had a chart drawn up (from information from a Zupu) as a Christmas present for our children. The chart is a family history chart starting at the bottom with the names of my grandchildren.

Each box has the characters of the persons name, underneath that is a translation to Pinyin and underneath that to Jyutping.

So for my husband the three lines show -
Chinese characters
Songsheng (the o has a little line on the top and the e has a dash on top)
Chung Sing

Chung Sing is how we pronounce his name - our surname is Chan but I haven’t included that).

my sister in law shows -

Chinese characters
Jinhe (with a line on the top of the I and a mark on top of the e)
Kim Ho

Kim Ho is how we pronounce her name.

However for the other generations I have only been given 2 lines which show their name in Chinese characters and then in Pinyin for example:

my mother in law (who has passed so I can’t ask her)

Chinese character
Deng Yihuan (with a dash above the a)

my problem is that I do not know how to pronounce Deng Yihuan and I would like to translate all those names into Jyutping so my children and grandchildren can pronounce them.

I have tried to search on the internet for a way to translate from pinyin to Jyutping but can find nothing that will help.

I wonder if someone out there can point me in the right direction of something that may help please. The chart I have is in PDF format.

I’m sorry that my first posting is such a long one and I hope that it is understandable.

Hi,

I don’t know much about Jyutping but…

If you know the characters you can try the dictionary from Arch Chinese. http://www.archchinese.com/chinese_english_dictionary.html

They show a Pinyin, Bopomofo (Zhuyin) and Cantonese (Jyutping) description for every character.

I hope this will help you.

Robert

Hello,

Thanks for writing in. I’m sorry I can’t help you more but that is all Cantonese and I am not familiar with that. I’ll ask around and see if I know of someone that can help with pronouncing that.

Sincerely,
g

Thank you for the reply Robert. I will check the site out. It could just be what I want.

Kind Regards

June

1 Like