Main Site Blog Help

Language used to tell elementary school children what to do in class

Suggested Difficulty (Elementary etc): upper intermediate_
Video or Audio: ____
Lesson Idea: Hi @Constance_Fang and Team,
I would like to learn language that a teacher would use to instruct children. For example, choose a partner, get in groups, circle a picture, form a circle, form a big circle. Sit opposite of each other, take out your pencils, glue your pictures to the floor, walk in single file, etc… As adults we miss out on learning the stuff children learn in the classroom. As I can’t attend elementary school, it would be nice to have a lesson teaching what we don’t know-language the teacher uses to get kids to do stuff. And not just be quiet, stand up 等等。that’s why I’d like it to be an upper intermediate or advanced level.

1 Like

It is a common problem for adult language learners that they miss out on all the childhood basics, and yet they are useful in daily life. I have a particular interest in this topic as my young grandchildren are learning elementary Chinese at school and I should like to be on the same wavelength!

I truly believe that if I could sit in an elementary school with Chinese children that I would learn just as much as they are. Researchers always talk about the Critical Period for language learning. However, no one has ever put an adult in an elementary school environment to learn a language. We probably will never be accent free, but since it this kind of learning has never been done before, we will never know.