Main Site Blog Help

Need help please! Is this correct?

I am doing a role play in Mandarin. The text below is what I have to say. Can you tell me if this is correct, please? Thanks a lot!

我们打断您的一天,告诉您有关改变世界的新闻。 这是每个人都在等待的消息! 这个消息不同于其他消息,这是个好消息!

尽管该新闻已经存在了很长时间,但它仍在发展中,人类需要再次收听它,据说这是世界上最好的新闻! 好消息是……

Hi there,

Wow! A role play in Mandarin! That must be interesting!

我们打断您的一天(1),告诉您有关改变世界的新闻。 这是每个人都在等待的消息! 这个消息不同于其他消息,这是个好消息(2)!

1. In English, you might often hear “We interrupt your day,” but in Chinese, we prefer to say “Today, I am bringing you…”.

2. Apparently you use four sentences to describe the “news”, but in Chinese, unless all the sentence structures are the same, we don’t describe things like this. To fix this, I would combine some descriptions in one sentence.

Based on these two, I would correct the first sentence like this:
今天要为各位带来一个大家期待已久的好消息,这个消息十分特别,它是一则有关改变世界的新闻。

Now let’s take a look at the second one.
尽管该新闻已经存在了很长时间(3),但它仍在发展中(4),人类(5)需要再次收听它(6),据说这是世界上(7)最好的新闻(8)!(9)好消息(10)是……

1. In Chinese, when describing about things that are related to people, we would prefer to describe it through how people sense it.

2. Well, in my opinion, a piece of news is not able to “develop” but able to be “changed”.

3. When persuading people, in Chinese, we would prefer to call the audience “we”.

4. Instead of asking people to listen to it, suggesting they update the information would be more polite.

5. In Chinese, we don’t use big words to describe good news. So, instead of “in the world”, I would suggest “recently”.

6. When we say “good news”, the “news” is mostly translated into 消息 instead of 新闻.

7. Like English, when you mentioned something again, you use “the” to specify it.

8. Apparently, we are emphasizing things now. In Chinese, when we want to emphasize things, we use 就是.

So, based on these reasons, I would correct the second sentence like this:
尽管你对这则新闻可能已经有所耳闻了,但时间在走,事物在变,我们仍然需要时时更新最新资讯。我还听闻这是近日最好的消息呢!这个好消息就是…

Hope this would help. And wish everything goes well about your role play.

Best,
Betty

although this is not for me, i found it very helpful either so thanks for responding
Betty, may i ask you other similar questions later in case i will have any? thanks!

Hi there,

Of course. This is why I am here for.

Best,
Betty

Thoroughly explained! :grinning: