Main Site Blog Help

Pronunciation of 锲而不舍

Hi @YuQinCai, @Constance_Fang and the ChinesePod team, my question is this: So in the 全力以赴 Advanced lesson, one of the vocabulary words is 契而不舍。However, this doesn’t appear in any dictionaries, but 锲而不舍 does. The problem is that everyone pronounces it like 契而不舍 qì ér bù shě, and not qiè ér bù shě, not only every Chinese person I have asked, but also the audio for one of my textbooks that has 锲而不舍 says it like qì, and the people who make the audio have ultra strict broad-caster pronunciations, say chéngfá for 惩罚 instead of how everyone else says chěngfá, same with 办公室 bàngòngshǐ, 复杂 fǔzá, etc, but somehow still got 锲而不舍 “wrong”. Even the dictionary says “鍥"不要讀作qì. What’s the case with this? Maybe teachers wrote qìérbùshě because they missed the double e, and then everyone started pronouncing it like that?

In the case of 锲而不舍, it’s officially pronounced qiè as you would see when looking up in the dictionary. 锲 is not a common word so when people see it they usually guess that it might be pronounced just like the radical on the right, which is 契 qì. A wrong repeated became right.

Sometimes, I know how certain words should be pronounced correctly according to the dictionary but I don’t want to seem like I’m showing off so I just say the way how most people I’m talking to would pronounce it.

Same with 办公室 and 复杂, no one knows how people from far away pronounce these words but according to my personal/ TV show experience, most people from China say bàngòngshǐ, and fǔzá while most Taiwanese say it like in the dictionary bàngōngshì, fùzá.