Main Site Blog Help

The Difficult I/U/Ü Vowel Sounds

Hi @YuQinCai, @Constance_Fang @Fiona and the ChinesePod team, my question is this:

I’ve just watched the above Pronunciation Lesson of the Say It Right Series and I found it very interesting, however, these tips, tricks and techniques aren’t observable or easily noticed in locals in the flow of a real time conversation when you have no or much time to think or even prepare your mouth/tongue/lips to pronounce your letters/words/sentences properly.

There’s also for me a lack of confidence that kicks in because sometimes there are too many things to focus on; if I am conducting a business or dealing with an important matter with a local like say for example shopping or on a bus or speaking with people, I am always conscious not to take up too much of their time or hold up people in any form or line or hinder any kind of progress to services; especially if the person cannot understand you.

How do you apply all these skills and methods of poper pronunciation amidst these kinds of circumstances in real interaction/conversation and situations?

(Also just to add-that preparing the lips before saying the letters slows down the flow of speaking and what I have observed and experience is that when you speak slowly more often people do not understand you (me)).

Hello Stefano, I am glad that you went through the pronunciation lesson in Say It Right series. It definitely isn’t a simple series, they definitely go deep. I think it may seem a bit intimidating but please don’t let it scare you. I think any effort you make while you are doing business or out and about in town will go a long way. I think you have to just keep doing it. Talk to yourself at home, in the car, use it as often as you can so when the time come it feels more natural.

I have to say I had the exact same experience. When I first learned the proper pronouciation it felt super unnatural and took me a while, but after a month or two it became natural. After a while you don’t even have to think about it. Just keep working at it and it’ll get better eventually. You might want to practice speaking on your own more so that you can get some practice where you don’t have to rush.

2 Likes

Hello Stefano,
I think every beginners have this problem.I still remember how I practice them.I practice the initials and finals separately at the first, then combine them arbitrarily, practice more and more, no matter where I am, then I can say it out quickly and correctly after one month practicing,that is my method, hope it can help you.