Main Site Blog Help

The use of the verb 尝

Hi @Constance_Fang @Fiona and the ChinesePod team, my question is this:

if i want to say the 饺子 tasted good can i say:饺子尝得很好。i can 't understand the use of this verb.

My understanding is that verb / verb complement means something like ‘to act as’ or to have a certain indirect effect, so i’m not sure if it could be used as a linking verb for an adjective like that.

It seems to me that someone has already asked this question in comment of some lesson but I was not able to retrieve it.

Basically 尝 means taste in the sense of Someone tastes something and not in the sense of Something tastes good.

Your translation 饺子尝得很好 is correct on the grammatical point of view but I don’t think chinese people would says that, they probably would rather say 饺子很好吃 or 我觉得饺子很好吃。

I found also the expression 饺子尝起来很香。I would appreciated if @Constance_Fang or @Fiona could comment this sentence and the use of 起来 in that context.

Hi, I also got this problem before, I got .It should be used like this. the sense verbs like taste, feel,look, sound,smell,the grammar structure is (something +taste/feel/look/sound/smell +adj), emphasize the state, not action, so translated to 尝/摸/看/听/闻…起来。 for example:
1,the dumplings taste very delicious. 这些水饺 尝起来 不错/很美味。
2,these flowers smell very sweet. 这些花 闻起来 很香。
3,this dress feels very soft. 这条裙子 摸起来 很柔软。
4,you look great today. 你今天 看起来 很棒(气色很好)。
5,his idea sounds good. 他的主意 听起来 不错。
except this , also can be used with 一下,emphasize the action, not state, for example, 我听一下,我看一下,我尝一下,我闻一下,我摸一下。
hope this can help you to understand.

Hi,
尝 means 品尝
e.g. 在这里你可以品尝到各地有名的小吃
Here you can have famous snacks from many different cities
品尝 is translated to “have”

e.g. 这汤尝起来很鲜美
This soup tastes delicious.
尝起来 means “taste”

e.g. 他尝试了好几次以后放弃了
He gave up after trying a few times.
尝试 means “try”

Hi there,

“V 得 C” pattern is used to describe the “the situation of the verb”. For example,
我跑得很快 [Wǒ pǎo de hěn kuài] I run fast.
We use “得 [de]” to connect the verb “跑 [pǎo] to run” and the adverb “很快 [hěn kuài] fast”.

However, when it comes to “sense verbs”, we use “N V 起来 C” pattern. The C here is to describe the N instead of V. And the “起来 [qǐlái]” here is to connect the verb and the adjective ©. For example:
这个饺子吃起来很好吃 [Zhège jiǎozi chī qǐlái hěn hào chī] These dumplings taste good.

Hope this would help.

Betty