Main Site Blog Help

Wanted: Vocal recognition study strategy in flash cards

I want to improve my instantaneous recognition of words and phrases. I really am on a quest to improve my ting li.

Is there a function in flash cards that can do two things simultaneously:

1. When the flash card comes up, have the audio say the word.
  2. After a predetermined time have the card cycle to the answer.

Then go to next card.

In my opinion this would be the ultimate review tool. It would aid in instant recognition, and also be great while jogging or cooking where hands free review would greatest.

Or…
Does this already exist?

Just thinking that the ability to have the sentences in the dialogues that have been previously studied also play in random audio review would be awesome also.

I find listening to a random sentence out of context, and figuring out what is said is often super challenging.

Hands off audio review would be awesome here also.

We already have something like this. Each lesson comes with an audio review mp3 which takes vocabulary and expansion sentences from the class, and encourages you to review and learn them like you would a flashcard.

The current flashcard programme on our website has this functionality, but it is a bit buggy, and is not currently being developed. You could try it out and see if it’s useful .

https://chinesepod.com/tools/vocab/flashcards

Yes great, but too buggy to be useful on that setting.
Some words work on auto some don’t.

But I usually use this on my phone, and does not have the audio setting for auto flash card in the mobile phone app.

Unless I am missing something?

You can set anki up to do this, playing the audio first.

I’m not aware of an auto scroll flashcard app. Perhaps other users can help.

Anki is the most popular, but quite complicated to set up if you’re new to it. All ChinesePod words can be exported as Anki txt files.

Are you using Android or iOS?

Skritter also links directly with ChinesePod word lists. It’s best if you want to learn how to write. You can turn off writing if you want to use it like a regular flashcard programme but I wouldn’t recommend that.

Hi, I’ve been using Anki for a long time but always focusing on reading and writing. I would like to start using it to practice listening and I think that pairing the example sentences from ChinesePod with the audio files is a good method.

Anki allows to import audio data from internet just by entering a link into the sound field of a card. It will automatically add it to its media database and upload it at the next sync. But this doesn’t work with ChinesePod links, I don’t know if that is due to their complex form redirecting from one site to another. I need to manually download the audio, then add it to Anki from my PC. It isn’t really hard but still, it takes two or three steps more than simply pasting a link.

Has anyone experience this issue? Maybe there is a more straightforward workaround…

Thanks!

I asked the same question in Anki’s support forum and they answered that Anki can only fetch audio from public sites. You must be logged in to access to ChinesePod’s contents, and there is no way for Anki to do it. So I’ll keep downloading the sentences and importing them into Anki from my computer.

It would seem there is a database with all the dialogue with them.

Also seem reasonable that he would be quite simple to divides dialogues into the newbie elementary and advanced levels

Further it would seem reasonable that someone should be able to access and listen to the random sentences

Yes???

Have you tried the Memrise App before? It’s a free app (unless you choose to go pro) that I highly recommend if you are learning vocabulary and phrases. There are many classes to choose from if you take a look around at the courses. I would recommend the “HSK Complete Traditional Characters” course on Memrise. All the courses drill vocabulary in flashcard, multiple choice and fill-in the blank formats. I usually use Chinesepod “seriously” to study Chinese and Memrise to drill words when I’m not at my desk studying. Many of the courses include pronounciation and help you with listening.

Try Quizlet. To see an example of how it might work for you, see here:
https://quizlet.com/144814891/chinese-pod-vocab-flash-cards/

1. When you get to the page, click on “FLASHCARDS”
  2. Then click “Play”

I believe this meets both of your criteria. (says the word, pauses, gives the answer, proceeds to the next item and repeats the process. )

Gwilym,
I always find those audio reviews frustrating because the sentences seem so complex and the time give between the prompt and the correct answer is so brief. I always wished that it were more like Pimsleur, with longer pauses and maybe less ambitious generation of sentences expected of the user. Of course hearing the words in a natural or nuanced context is good, but I would like a longer pause so that I can guess what the translation is going to sound like. That said, I just listened to a recent audio review and the pauses seem to have gotten longer than I remember on older lessons. Was this intentional?

@podster, the audio review mp3’s haven’t been changed. Truth be told, the process of changing them is too complicated, and without doing some in depth re-workings of how our publishing system works, it’s can’t be done. This is why you still hear Jenny’s voice introducing the audio. The mp3 is automatically generated by taking the audio sentences of the English and Chinese on the expansion and vocabulary pages and randomising them into a mp3 with some pauses in between. We are currently doing a major re-write of several parts of the website, so we will take your feedback on board.