Main Site Blog Help

What word do you use to translate 干部?

Hi everyone, lately I’m doing a lot of (amateur) translation for my company. They like to use 干部 quite often. Dictionaries will tell you it’s “cadre”, but that’s a not a business term and at least in American English, it basically means “Communist party member”, which is not how our company means it in most contexts. I asked some Chinese colleagues and it seems the meaning doesn’t translate directly into English. We already frequently use 员工 for employee, so it’s distinct from that. But it doesn’t exactly mean “manager” or “staff”.

Anyone have insights about how this should be translated or how mainland Chinese use it in business context?

Thanks!

some dictionnaries give the translation: manager, staff, officer,official

Hi jt1929,

What a good question.

幹部/干部 is a very versatile word as you have discovered. It can change quite a bit depending on the context and company. So let’s first look at the basics and expand outward.

One of the meanings of the character 干 is “the main part of something”
i.e. 树干 - tree trunk, 干道 - main road, 躯干 - torso.

部 in the context of work means 部属 - subordinate, soldier.

So let’s put both of those back together - a “干部” is someone important and central to the department or business and they are also a subordinate or soldier.

Generally speaking, 干部s are people that hold central roles or have specific skills or responsibilities, yet they are not necessarily the leaders or the heads of the companies or departments.

That’s why the term is often translated as manager, even though that might not be the case.

I think perhaps a more apt translation might be “key persons (to this project or department)” or “key members”. It does, of course, depend on the particular structure of a company to give a more accurate translation.

If I heard “干部会议” I would think of the people that are central to that particular department or task, not necessarily a meeting of managers (although that might be the case depending on the size of the organisation, because the managers might be those key persons)

I’ve seen the term “储备干部/儲備幹部” since returning to Taiwan, which I guess would translate as “reserved key persons” or “Key persons in waiting” (lol). A lot of companies in Taiwan hire under that title, usually targeted at fresh graduates. These titles can also imply graduate training programs or training programmes for managerial roles. In big firms, I guess these programmes are more establish. In smaller companies, however, I feel advertising this way can be a little misleading because of the ambiguity of the word "干部”, let alone a reserved 干部.

Hope you found that useful and let me know if that clears up the term for you.

Fi

Wow what a clear and insightful response Fiona. 非常感谢!

This does clear up the meaning but it seems its imprecision will always make it clunky to translate. I think I’ll use “key employees” and change it up with “key staff” when the former gets monotonous.

1 Like

The word “干部” ,it has a little political color,it was often used in past,but now is more less(can use like this?),Now,it is usually used in government, Party and administration ,seldom used in company and business,means someone who has a title or just a honorific title.

1 Like

To my experience, it’s seldom that people would refer any one as 干部 in a business company, at least in Mainland China nowadays. We tend to say “管理人员” in various occasions. Are you working for a state-owned organization? If so, the term “official” could still be very relevant.

Fiona offered great insight about its cannotation, but it’s more pertinent to the situation in Taiwan. Here in Mainland China, 干部 would be someone holding a formal leading/manageral position, not just a “key person”. He/she could be indeed a manager / leader of a department / team if it’s in a business organization.

1 Like