Main Site Blog Help

When to progress up a level

Hi @YuQinCai, @Constance_Fang @Fiona and the ChinesePod team, my question is this:

I’m curious to know when to make the jump up a Chinese pod level. I have seen the recommended times however was wondering if people listen to all available before moving up or the recommended times.

I listened to nearly all the newbies before going to Elementary. Should I repeat that process or use the recommended level up times. Thanks

Hello, I would along the way test the next level. If you feel pretty confident in the level that you are going through, I wouldn’t necessarily go through all of them all over again. I would move on to the next. Then if there is a topic there that you may need to take a look back at a lower level lesson you can go back for that one to help you. Because you are building on the language you will continue to hear the lower level words in the levels to come so I wouldn’t repeat if you feel you have finished the lesson.

On the lower levels, I did double the number of lessons ChinesePod recommended. Moving upward, I became more in line with the recommendations. I found that a good indicator for me is the Expansion Sentences: When I can understand most of them with little effort, it’s time to move up. But that initial jump upward was always painful.

1 Like