Main Site Blog Help

Why can't I just listen to one lesson after another?

Why can’t I just listen to one lesson after another? For some reason it’s not playing one lesson simultaneously after another. So either I’m a total idiot or you don’t know what the word playlist means.

I’m not aware that there is any way to have the lessons in one of the ChinesePod “playlists” play sequentially automatically, either in the app or on the web site. You would have to curate your own playlist in iTunes or some such to do that. Unfortunately I can’t give you specifics, but you might want to look at some of Elijah’s posts on how he studied ChinesePod lessons using iTunes. I agree with you that the use of the term “playlist” is confusing in this case. They should have just been called “lesson collections” or something like that.

Hi dazpetty, thanks for taking the time to write in about this. You are correct, we currently don’t have an auto-play feature. This is because our lessons are designed to be supplemented by the study materials. The lessons will sink in much better if you do some memory recall or revision activities afterwards, such as going through vocab flashcards or filling out the multiple choice questions. We suggest that you take the time to study for each lesson before moving on to the next one, and auto-play wouldn’t allow this. (To access the study materials click the vocab, grammar, extension, and exercise tabs under the lesson player.)

However, it is still useful to collect lessons on the same topic so that we have a way to organise our large lesson library. This is why we have playlists. Our apologies that the name implies an auto-play feature which we don’t actually have. We also call them courses, and perhaps we can move towards more using this term rather than playlists.

Is there anything else you have questions about?

As I listen to ChinesePod while driving between work and home, I can’t select the next lesson while driving. Because my commute is about 2 hours a day, that is the only time I can listen to Chinese Pod. Is Chinese Pod meant for PodCast? I would like to keep listening to the new lesson, one after another.

1 Like

Hi anhngo, thanks for writing in. I have a solution that hopefully will help you listen while driving!
It starts with downloading the audio files that you want from our site (when watching a lesson click downloads–> lesson in the sidebar) onto your device. Make sure you do it from our website, not from the ChinesePod app. If you use the app, the lessons will play using the app’s player.
After downloading, open the files with whatever music player you use. Usually, the player will automatically create a playlist for you since all the audio files come from the same source. However, if this hasn’t happened you should organise all the lesson “tracks” into a playlist. Whenever you play the playlist, the lessons will play automatically one after the other.

Try this out and let me know if you have any complications!

I agree with @anhngo and @washingtondcmandarin - we should be able to easily create an audio-only playlist. I listen to the lessons while on my daily commute, and the amount of effort I have to put into using the app is unsafe while driving.

Here’s my request: enable users to select a playlist - like HSK3 for example - and quickly/easily create an audio playlist to use while driving.

1 Like

Hi @Aurelia. I already commented in a separate post, but I want to also respond to your suggestion. What you’re asking is that we don’t use the ChinesePod app to create a playlist and listen to podcasts. That’s truly disappointing.

I am aware that I can use other PodCast apps to create playlists, but doing so is 很麻烦. Please consider just making the ChinesePod app support what we’re asking for.

Thanks!

Hi everyone,

I understand your wishes for a playlist function, and will give this suggestion to our technical team. We are currently working on implementing some new functions on the website that I think you might find more intuitive as well, so we are definitely happy to hear these suggestions for the future too.

Susie

I make my own playlists of subjects I’m learning using CloudBeats app. I download the audio files to my dropbox, and use that to make the playlists. I also make a separate list of the dialogue, for shadowing and listening comprehension practice. I know making this a ‘feature’ on Chinesepod would be an overwhelming task, and only a few would use it. I’m guessing that’s why it’s not yet available. I’m currently going through a playlist I made about ‘water’ and ‘thirsty’.

Hi there,

Thanks for your sharing. I understand your need for a playlist function but because there are so many other materials in each lesson and we hope that you can use those materials to learn Chinese, our website so far don’t have a function like an automatic playlist. But you still can leave your thoughts on our “website feedback page” https://www.chinesepod.com/feedback

Betty