Main Site Blog Help

iPhone X support?

Hi @GwilymJames and the ChinesePod dev team, just wondering if you have an ETA on when the support for the iPhone X will be released. The app looks so squished and weird since I’ve upgraded to the X.

Do what I do, keep the iPhone in your pocket, and use the app on an iPad Pro 12.9” with keyboard-cover.

The iPhone is a great device, but, truth be told, phones are too small for studying or getting work done. I use my phone for listening to Chinese Pod lessons as I do other things, Then find a comfortable spot to sit and type out my lessons/exercises on something with a keyboard. I got the newest generation iPad Pro a few months ago and find that with the keyboard it allows me to get some real work done: business, personal, and studying.

P.S. Congrats on getting the iPhone X so fast.

1 Like

Wow, lucky you. I might upgrade next year depending on user feedback once the hype has died down.

Could you post a picture of the squashed screen so our developers @ThanhCao and @JohnnySung can take a look. Maybe a screenshot won’t show the problem.

1 Like

I primarily use my phone when studying from ChinesePod. I enjoy having the the app on the go for when I’m driving, at the gym or walking around. It would be nice to have the interface fill the screen so I can see things easier. I use my macbook pro similar to how you use your iPad pro, when I have time to sit down and focus making flash cards and reading through the lessons properly.

1 Like

Squashed screen might not be the proper term, but it’s more like the interface doesn’t fill the screen like it should. You will notice black bars on the top and bottom of the screen shot from the app. I have also included a screenshot of the ChinesePod website from within google chrome which is an app the has proper scaling and utilized the entire screen.

I woke up at 3:35am in ore-order day and was incredibly lucky to get an iPhone X before they sold out in 2 minuets. I personally wish the screen was a bit wider, like it is on the plus models but the gesture support on the X is the future of iOS and I find it hard to go back. Reminds me of the days when I was on Android.

Ballin out of control! Good to see your still on it,

Hi @Matt_T, My developers tell me the app is 90% ready for iPhone X so just need to make some changes to a few pages. We’ve already submitted the latest version to iTunes without the updated layout, so to see the changes, you may have to wait another couple of weeks for the next, next update.

In the meantime, here is a sim of it running on your shiny new phone (don’t drop it!)

2 Likes

Sounds great, thanks for the quick action on this. I look forward to the update in the weeks to come.

Just downloaded the new app update and I’m loving the support for the X!! Thanks again for the quick action on this :smile:

1 Like

The app description continues to refer to “the practice page.” What exactly is that? It is clearly not the exercises. Does this refer to the “expansion” section?

It’s an extra field on the All the Way to Intermediate beginner lessons that links to existing content for extra study around the topics, hand picked by Constance. In the app, you can tap the links to open them in-app.

Gwil

Ah, I see. Thanks so much for the explanation.

Sorry that the wording and function is not clearer. We’re kind of hijacking some old functionality in our old publishing system that allows us in the production team (Fiona, Gwil and Constance) to add existing lessons so they show up on the website and apps without needing too much IT team intervention :slight_smile: