Main Site Blog Help

New iPhone App Nov. 2017 bugs and suggestions

Hi!

Using the App on an iPhone 7 (I think…), and it is working great, really love using it on the go, listening to my playlist of downloaded lessons even with little or no connection and re-reading the dialogue transcript (the integration with Pleco is very helpful).

However, I would like to share a bug that I found and some suggestions for improvement that would make the app even more useful, at least from my point of view:

1. downloading several lessons simultaneously is awesome and also the possibilty to deselect items for download is great (I personally never use the vocab review). BUT: I would suggest, that it is possible to save that selection in the setting. E.g., if I always want to download only high quality lesson and dialogue, it would be great if I could set that as a standard. Especially helpful when downloading several lessons at a time.

2. BUG: If I browse lessons, the tags show weird results: If I tag “non-studied” and “downloaded” at the same time, it shows all downloaded lessons, even the studied ones (which should be excluded). Worse even, it shows the studied lessons as non-studied. The same thing happens if I select only “downloaded” or if I select three tags “downloaded”, “non-studied” and “bookmarked”. If I browse only with the tag “studied”, “non-studied” or completely without tag, it seems to work. So, maybe the “downloaded” tag does not work properly. As it seems to be the only replacement for the old “downloads” button, that is a problem.

3. Playlists: The playlist is a nice feature. Much of the value of podcasts to me is listening to certain dialogues repeatedly over an extended period of time. However, sometimes I have the feeling that my playlist becomes too long and makes the app crash. Maybe it would be possile to introduce the possibility to save multiple playlists, to keep them shorter. Well, but maybe I will just keep on regularly throwing out older items from my playlist and then later re-add them after browsing leared lessons.

4. Playlist to lesson. Sometimes I listen to an older lesson still on my playlist and suddenly I come across a word that I would like to look up again. Then I have to manually browse the lesson library for that lesson to check the dialogue. I think it would be helpful to have a “go-to-lesson” button integrated in the audio player/ playlist feature.

I sincerly hope this feedback helps with your work on the app. Wishing a nice weekend to all.

1 Like

Hi there,
I have a HUGE bug to report. I have just updated the app on my iPhone and iPad.
In addition to the inconvenience of having to login again to access the text of the dialogue, I STILL HAVE NO ACCESS. The screen just comes back to the login request page! I have reinstalled the app to no avail.

Is this just me? If not, please repair!

After sending the previous message about the problem that lasted 24 hours, I can now access the texts without having to login.

There’s clearly a glitch somewhere and I would be grateful if it could be repaired.

Thanks in advance

I’m running iOS 11.1.1 on both my iPhone and iPad. The app is working correctly for me.

Which iOS are you running? Which phone are you having the problems on?

In my opinion, when all is running correctly it still would be nice if we were able to do the exercises from within the APP.

Hi riceeater,
Just updated to 11.1.1 and works.
But also on iPad with 10.3.3.

Ho hum, as long as it works.

Thanks for the suggestion.

1 Like

I am using the latest version of iOS 11.1.1. and the download tag still does not work correctly.

1 Like

Good day time! I also have problem with downloaded lessons. Though being downloaded, I can not listen to the audio without internet connection.

Yep, similar for me. I can download the dialogue. However if I try to play it an online connection is used first. What‘s going exactly - I do not know.
However the data is available locally. If I disable the online connection (flight-mode) the dialogue immediately starts to play.

Thus I assume an artifact in the app-code referring to online-data if online-access is possible, ignoring that the data has already been downloaded.

I only do have EDGE-connection locally and the online request is a real pain as it lasts for ages.

Ah, and I‘m running iPhone and iPad with 11.2.1 of iOS.

Hi Sergeli,

Thank you for reporting the problem. We have forwarded your concern to our technical team for checking. If problem still persists within the next few days, kindly contact support@chinesepod.com. Thank you for choosing ChinesePod!

Cheers!

Hi GeorgL,

Thank you for reporting the problem. We have forwarded your concern to our technical team for checking. If problem still persists within the next few days, kindly contact support@chinesepod.com. Thank you for choosing ChinesePod!

Cheers!

Hmmm, maybe that’s why I got charged for data overage by my phone company.

Hi,

the problem is still observable. Although I have downloaded everything the replay does NOT start before some data is exchanged online. That’s very annoying.

Hi GeorgL,

1. There is the remember download settings in here, kindly use that.

1. Your feedback is helpful. Will take a look into this issue.

Hi 436865276,
Will take a look into this issue, thanks to reach us.

Who would ever have thought that the “remember download settings” button is called “don’t show this again”? I suggest you change it to “remember download settings.”

Great, thanks for reply.

Any time. Another question: GeorgL simply wrote that “some data is exchanged on line.” That leads to the question of: will I still be able to access the content ALREADY stored locally on my mobile device AFTER my subscription expires? Or will it be locked up if the CPod server fails to confirm a current subscription? Maybe that’s the data exchange that GeorgL is noticing???

The offline reading opens only in valid premium subscriptions. After subscription expires, you can’t access downloaded materials, thanks.