Main Site Blog Help

Suggested Feature: Spaced Repetition Playlist

Hello Chinese Pod, I love your site!

In your lessons you guys emphasize the importance of reviewing the lessons you’ve already learned. Every indication from the spaced repetition craze is that periodic review pays off, but it’s a little difficult to keep track of when you’ve studied literally hundreds of lessons. Either I never end up reviewing a lesson or I wait too long and lose all my familiarity with the lesson. If I could be automatically reminded to review when the lesson is just about to go out of my head, I think I would retain so much more.

It would be amazing if users could make and manage a personal playlist that repeats lessons at increasing intervals. I currently can’t find any existing apps that apply the spaced repetition model to tasks instead of words. I’ve begun to do this for myself in an excel spreadsheet but it would even better to have it built into the course. I realize this might be a big project but If you’re looking to add features, this feature would get my vote.

Keep up the good work!
Robin

2 Likes

I think your post is spot on. I’ve developed a huge CPOD vocabulary manager database in my studies. Every once and a while I download it and upload it to my Pleco app. I love Pleco. It does everything. It has a free random flashcard function and a for pay model that does SRS like you’re looking for. The cool thing is CPOD links to Pleco on its mobile platform, adding individual words with just a tap. Gwilym did a video on how to set up a flashcard deck on Pleco that is very useful. Good luck in your studies!

https://www.pleco.com/

https://chinesepod.com/tools/export/

1 Like

I’m currently working on putting together one combining all the vocabulary from the Elementary Level lessons.

It’s current incarnation has a little over 200 character cards in it. The set is on Quizlet.com

The name of the set is “Chinese Pod Elementary Lessons Combined”

I’m not putting a link to it since each time I add a lesson set to it I create a new updated set, then delete the previous version.

Quizlet

To view it with the spaced repetition, once you find it via the Quizlet search function choose “Learn”

2 Likes

Another way to view that same set of “Chinese Pod Elementary Lessons Combined” is to use the APP Anki and from within it to search for the same set. (Anki uses the Quizlet database)

1 Like

To be clear, you mean that audio/video lessons would have SRT statistics? I think that’s an interesting idea! My only concern is what the average amount of time for a session would be. How many new lessons would be introduced in a study session? How many reviews? What kind of guidelines would a person set for themselves to mark their progress as “Good” or “Easy on a lesson” without having properly heard the lesson from head to tail? If the lesson is easy, imagine the torture of listening to it the whole way through…

1 Like

To clarify.

The sets I have created on Quizlet (C-Pod Elem: LESSON NAME) consist of only the vocabulary, not the dialogue, of that Chinese Pod lesson.

Currently I am making seperate Quizlet sets for each lesson (searchable using the name format given above).

i am then combining those sets into one large set, seperate from the smaller sets. currently there are over 200 items in the combined set.

From what i understand, Quizlet is using the LEARN feature to review that set with “Spaced Repitition.”

The settings of LEARN allow you to interact with the data set in many ways: Chinese first, or English first; written answer or multiple choice, etc.

If you answer wrong that missed item will reappear soon. if you answer correctly, it goes to the back of the deck.

i spend 10 to 20 minutes each day reviewing my deck. If you want to review only material which you have personally done before, you could combine two sets with a new name “Naeem’s Chinese Review set,” for example, and add to it by combing it with other decks as you review them.

let me know how this worrks out for you, or if you have any further insights on Spaced Repitition or mt Quizlet decks.

the pic below shows the settings I am currently using as I review my growing deck.

"

1 Like

Thanks for the clarification! I actually meant to respond to the OP; I’m still figuring the forum out. I’m looking forward to trying out your cards! If I use them, I may have to lump them all into a nested deck though. I’ve already got too many decks as it stands, haha. SRT is truly a godsend!

1 Like

Just to be clear, my suggestion isn’t aimed at individual vocab SRT. I think making the cards for memrise/anki yourself is half the benefit.

The thing I struggle with most is listening in context. I have all this vocab but my mind doesn’t piece it together quite quickly enough. Its frustrating that, despite hundreds of lessons, my listening isn’t improving very well. I find the thing that helps is repeatedly re-listening to a lesson I’m already kind of familiar with. And I think that the spaced repetition principle should still stand for this. As the lesson is about to become unfamiliar to me (still a little familiar but challenging 3-6-9-etc. days later), this is when I want to refresh my memory. It’s hard to keep track of this pattern and enforce it on my own.

My solution would be to have a playlist that automatically adds back lessons I’ve previously learned, with a spaced pattern. In this way I would have one playlist where I can add new lessons and automatically be prompted to listen to old lessons again.

I think there are plenty of great programs for vocabulary SRT (I’m still a memrise sycophant). It would probably be a waste of resources for Chinesepod to try and outdo them. The idea is to apply spaced repetition to the lesson playlist itself. I don’t see any other platforms offering this. This is what I’m doing for myself, and already I think my listening skills are finally improving.

Thanks for all your input, and keep up the good work, Chinesepod!

2 Likes

I had the same problem, I downloaded now all the dialogues in mine iPad and IPhone and made a separate playlist with dialogue studied, Every time I am waiting for something, or running, or do the dishes, drive the car etc etc I listen to this playlist ad random. In this way I keep on repeating and repeating them. The bonus with Imusic is when you want quickly to review the text you look at lyrics.
In the beginning it is boring but when you have more as 50 than gets better and better. You can also put in some music in between to give you ears some rest between the dialogues. Have fun

3 Likes

At lower levels, I kept track of my own spaced repetition in a notebook, and I’d focus on the Lesson Review MP3.

However, the higher I get in the lesson structure, the more densely packed the information is in the lessons. Now that I’m doing Advanced lessons, I study each lesson with a tutor 4 times. Working with a tutor requires me to plan out well in advance what I’ll be studying with each one, so I worked out a calendar. Below is my schedule for March.

I study lessons first with “Jane” on Wednesdays and Saturdays. I study the same lessons again with “Jane Lee” (a different Jane) on Mondays and Fridays. I study the same lessons again with James on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I study the same lessons again during two or three lunch breaks a week with Selina.

Example: I’ll study 给力 on my own on February 26, then with Jane on February 27, then again with Jane Lee on March 4, then again with James on April 2, then again with Selina on July 29 (if she’s still my teacher by then). I make the calendar public and available to my teachers.

1 Like