Main Site Blog Help

The best Chinese language TV shows to help with 听力

Hi @Constance_Fang @Fiona and the ChinesePod team, my question is this:
Does anyone have a favourite TV show - from Taiwan or China – that is good for improving Chinese listening. Links would be good to! Thanks!

What level are you? My personal favourite is peppa pig if you’re a beginner :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I really enjoy Viki’s website to search new shows. I just find ones I like and if I’m interested I learn more I feel, :slight_smile:

Also, 非诚勿扰 is a great show to learn everyday words. It’s a little fast sometimes, but other times really helpful. It’s available on YouTube.

Hope that helps!

2 Likes

My favorite is 新我們這一家。https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hl-jvZIqMDg&list=PLYPfJsj730gqAUIqsB7Mge4JppVeVgIC2&index=1

1 Like

Cartoons are great… But Im also looking for adult TV series with a hook! I remember I loved a taiwanese soap called metoer garden and the hot taiwanese actors kept me learning!

any recommendations for show like this? or detective series… or even good movies?

Isn’t peppa pig banned in China?

Yes perhaps. VPN’s will be soon also. We’re in TW though so Peppa pig is mandatory viewing.

I am finding The Legend of Bruce Lee series (now on Netflix) to be fairly easy to understand and moderately entertaining. The dialog is often simple, the situations fairly straightforward, and the subtitles are big enough and with enough contrast to easily see. Subtitles are also available in a variety of languages. I tend to watch with English subtitles and if there is some vocabulary that catches my interest go back and watch a scene with simplified Chinese subtitles. Traditional Chinese is also an option.

非诚勿扰 is very entertaining even if I understand less than half of what is being said. Can’t believe I haven’t heard of this before.

I’ve been watching The Legend of Bruce Lee on Netflix.

命中注定我愛你 and 聽見幸福 are also good. You can find them on youtube or drama fever

I actually got really into Just You, a 2013 Taiwanese rom-com (at least I think it’s a romantic comedy). You can find it on Netflix.

It starts off silly, cheesy, almost manga-like, and then it goes into full soap opera mode. Anyway, the Mandarin is very clear and you’ll hear a lot of common sentence structures like 麻煩你, 如果…的話, 因為 and so on. I actually did memorize a few phrases and sentence structures from that show. I also cried a few times. Don’t tell anyone.

Also there’s also a new Netflix series coming that’s entirely in Mandarin (also from Taiwan).

2 Likes

Thanks for this info in your post. The Viki website is great! 非诚勿扰 is way fast for me as a Newbie/Elementary learner, but Viki gives me a lot of control and the dual subtitles are great. I’m going to watch the Scarlet Heart show. Xie xie ni!

hi.I m looking as Well for tv show or tv programs in mandarin but with english subtiles

I recently found a new one on Netflix called Rookie Agent Rouge. It’s fairly easy to understand and thankfully isn’t a terrible Taiwanese rom-com, which is what 90% of chinese shows on Netflix seem to be. 45 or so episodes at 45 minutes each and it’s actually interesting and doesn’t have terrible dubbing like a lot of mainland shows seem to have.

2 Likes