Main Site Blog Help

Using Flashcards?

Hi ChinesePod, I watched the video on using flashcards. But it seems the new site doesnt have the features noted in the flashcard instruction video. Is there an easy way to make flashcards from ChinesePod lessons? Thank you very much. Sincerely, Russell Smith

Hi Russel,

ChinesePod has a new Recap App with flashcards in it. Maybe you could give it a try. As for the new website, we’re now trying to build a page for you to download all kinds of customized flashcards. If nothing goes wrong with it, we might see it in the near future.

Betty

Hello,

do I get that right. In the new Dashboard the Flashcard function does not exist any more. So if I want do use this function (on the Laptop) i have to change to the old Dashboard every time?

Thanks for your reply
Patrick

Hi Patrick,

We have launched our new flashcard project recently! Just go to the sidebar on the new dashboard, simply click on “Review Vocabulary” and start enjoying our latest flashcard function!

You can go to this link for more information:
https://www.chinesepod.com/flashcard-project

You’re very welcome to join our beta test to share with us your suggestions and feedback. We would love to hear your thoughts!

Rebecca

Looks very promising. I am one of the ones that have asking for sentence flashcards and audio flashcards and so far it looks fairly user friendly. I just now spent a few minutes on it, so I cannot say anything about the SRS implementation yet. I have way too many saved items, so I would definitely only want to review selectively. I hope this will be an option.

Hi Podster,

Good to hear your feedback! Hope you’ll have time to join the beta test and let us know what you think in detail!

Rebecca

I have tried the “beta implementation” using the link you provided. A few questions:

1. Betty mentioned a ChinesePod Recap App. Is this a mobile app? I couldn’t find it in the Apple app store. Maybe she was referring to this new desktop implementation?
  2. Ideally I would like to have a mobile app where I can get all the cues and answers in audio format. For example, hear my selected English sentences from the existing audio review, then have a pause in the audio longer than what is currently normal for the audio review in order to try to speak the Chinese translation aloud, and then hear the Chinese sentence that corresponds to that English prompt to know if I got it right or to teach me the correct answer. The way the flashcards are set up now in the beta is that you can hear the Chinese sentence as a prompt, but it looks like the English is not an option.

I provided this feedback via the link within the beta review page, but thought I should send it to you as well since you seem to be about the only person replying to anyone currently. Thanks for your attention.

Hi Podster!

1. ChinesePod Recap is a mobile App and it’s available on Android. (We’re still working on the iOS version!)
    It provides audio recaps along with flashcards in different length (90 seconds, 3 minutes, and 6 minutes) as review segments of our lessons.
    You can find more information here:
    https://www.chinesepod.com/recap
    This is the link to Google Play store:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=llc.chinesepod.recap

2. I think that’s a good idea! If I understand correctly, what you’re proposing is kind of like an audio review with longer intervals with customized vocabulary? I would say this is quite different than the flashcard idea, but definitely doable. The recap app I mentioned above has a 90 second version for most lessons, and it includes an audio review of the most important phrases and vocabulary as well as visual aids (characters, pinyin, and English on the screen). It may be similar to what you’re proposing, but I imagine your idea would be something that you can listen to while on commute or exercising, without looking at your screen?

I appreciate that you also posted your feedback here! It’s always good to see everybody’s opinion and suggestions on the forum. It’s a nice way to spark conversations!

Rebecca

Yes, like an audio review, but with customized sentences, collected by the user from the existing audio review sentences from any number of different lessons. (Not just a review of vocabulary from a single lesson, but user-managed groups of sentences in the same way that users create flashcard “decks.” )

As to interval, I think maybe I was not clear. I am not referring to the duration of the entire review session. I just mean that in the existing audio review it often seems like I don’t have enough time to think of and utter the correct Chinese sentence for the spoken English prompt. I certainly don’t need 6 minutes to remember one sentence!

I would suggest you take a look at two existing products as a benchmark for prompting sentences: Pimsleur audio recordings (which is a kind of SRS, I suppose, but without the ability that a computer has to “grade” the user and adapt accordingly) and Learn In Your Car Foreign Language Series, which is similar but does not do as well as Pimsleur at reinforcing through repetition spread out over time.

I’m glad you think it is a good idea. Some users besides myself have been asking for something like this for a few years now. I am happy to see that CPOd is making some innovations on the review front and hope you can extend it.

Hi Podster,

Thank you for your further explanation, now the idea is really clear!
Just so you know, the 6 minute version of the Recap App is a condensed lesson that reviews the most important teaching points in the original one. Don’t worry, you won’t have to review only one sentence for 6 minutes! :slight_smile:

I am familiar with the Pimsleur method and have tried it myself when learning a different language. I like how you can just listen to the recording and repeating the phrases when doing other things but at the same time you’re getting the valuable language input consciously (sometimes even unconsciously). While it is very effective for beginners, it is too slow for more advanced students. So the idea of using the method on a customizable audio review is great!

Rebecca

Hello Rebecca

Please can you give us an update and an overview of what functionality is currently available, where?

The Flashcard Recap app sounds interesting. I have an Android phone (Huawei!). But when I use your link to Google Play, or just search for the ChinesePod Recap App, it does not appear (as of 9 Nov 2020
)

EDIT: I have just seen the thread in the forum under Apps.

How is it possible to take the Android app down for a complete month and still not have any schedule for when it is going to be reinstated?

I am trying to figure out what approach to take with flashcards and with lesson reviews. Do other users have any thoughts? The impression I am getting is that being tied to Chinesepod technology for this is an extremely bad idea.

Chris

Hi Chris,

I apologize for the late reply and I’m sorry to say that currently I have no updates about the Android ChinesePod App, Recap App, and their scheduled timelines. I can only say that the App is under review and unfortunately it will not be reinstated in a short time, at least not this year.

On the other hand, the flashcard feature is our latest added function on the website, and you can access it by going to the sidebar on the new dashboard, and click on “Review Vocabulary”.

You can customize your settings by clicking the button on the right.

unnamed

You will see the following options for prompts. The first one shows only characters, the second one only has pinyin, the third one show English translation, and the fourth one plays the audio of the phrase. You can click on the options to activate/deactivate them. If you choose more than one prompts, then you will get all of them randomly. If you only want the audio prompts, then you can deactivate all the others, like the image below:

I believe this is a very good way to refresh your memory on the vocabulary or sentences of your choice and to give yourself a practice test on your weakest points ( listening, pinyin, or meaning association). Plus, you can also add sentences from the dialogues and the expansion tabs in your vocabulary list, allowing you to practice not only words and phrase like in an ordinary flashcard feature.

I will be sure to contact you when we have a more concrete timeline as to reinstating the Apps, and thank you for understanding. Don’t hesitate to contact me if you have other questions.

Sincerely,
Rebecca

1 Like

Hi Rebecca

Thanks for the reply. Yes please, keep us informed.

Regarding the flashcard functionality, it looks promising. Having just tried it, I would have the following comments and requests, to make it more useful.

Having listened to an audio/video lesson, it is natural to want to add the vocab for that lesson. I have just tried that with the last lesson I studied (“Choosing a Room”) in order to test it.

The downloads have the pdf of the dialogue and the vocabulary. But many of the key words of the vocabulary listed in the dialogue and the pdf (dachuangfang etc - the whole point of the lesson!) are not listed under the Vocabulary tab from where you can add words to your vocab/flashcards. So a lot of value is lost.

The easiest way to use this for the user would be to have the Save All Vocabulary button provide the opportunity to create a new deck in your Vocab with the name of the lesson. It seems this does not happen.

Then having got all these words into your Vocab, there is no way to Shift-select them to block select all of them and move them to a new deck, given you have to do that manually.

A lot of it comes down to the care with which the vocab list gets prepared for the purposes of the flashcard study. I know we are all different in this regard, but I do find it bizarre that somebody chose to highlight “and”, “le” and “de” as vocab items in this lesson (which I then have to manually exclude) rather than the room types!

Perhaps for subscribers you could be given the option under Downloads to download a spreadsheet with the pdf vocabulary words in it (Hanzi, Pinyin, Translation). This would be awesome because it allows quick edits and to flexibly build our own vocab for the lessons. I would do it this way if it was available.

Thanks

Chris

Chris,
Can you just add it from the dialogue tab instead? Go to the dialogue tab and second line begins with the sentenced 性ćșŠæˆżæČĄæœ‰äș†ă€‚Point the cursor to the word 性ćșŠæˆż then click on it to see the word, the pinyin, and the English translation. You should also see a plus sign that you can click to add the term to your vocabulary collection.

1 Like

Thanks Podster,
Wow I never knew you could do that! I don’t remember the + sign being there previously! Thanks that is a big help.

Hi Chris,

Thank you for the suggestions, and thank you @podster for your answer!

I agree with your idea about automatically creating a new deck for all the vocabulary in a lesson. It sounds like it could be very useful to a lot of users. Right now we can’t see which lesson the vocabulary is from in the deck, and I can imagine it can be inconvenient if you want to go to the lesson for review.

As for your suggestion on a spreadsheet with vocabulary words in it, although this is not available right now, we do have a function where you can copy the characters, pinyin, and English translation of the vocabulary (or sentence) of your choice. Simply click on the “copy” button, and you can paste the information in your own study materials.

For example, the output for the above vocabulary would be: ć›ŸäčŠéŠ† - tĂșshĆ«guǎn - library. I know it’s not ideal and there’s probably lots of copy & paste you have to do, but I just wanted to let you know this is also a good way to make the spreadsheet in case you haven’t noticed!

Sincerely,
Rebecca

1 Like

Hi Rebecca

No, I hadn’t noticed that either! Thanks!

This is so close to doing the job. I see it is available from your own Vocabulary. But it is only possible to copy and paste each word individually! If you could Select All, Shift Select etc all or a number of words in your list, and then once off copy them all to the clipboard, this would instantly get us 95% there.

Thanks

Chris

You are welcome, and no worries; indeed the plus sign is something new.

Hi Chris,

We also just added Import / Export options for Vocabulary and Deck Vocabulary

Screen Shot 2020-11-27 at 12.50.36 PM

These should let you import / export vocabulary to / from vocabulary decks directly.

Obviously, we’re still testing these out, so let us know if you run into any issues.

Thanks, that is great! This is really welcome.
Testing it out on my vocabulary list is has worked absolutely fine.
Nice step forward!